Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Giving the floors a shellacking!

Posted by Peter at Tuesday, November 08, 2005
I hope no one read the title and thought I was giving my floors a beating. Instead I am thinking about shellacking my floors. I have read a whole lot on this and have met some people that have actually used shellac on their floors. The advantages of shellac is: 1. it is faster drying, so you don't have to wait days for poly to dry and then turn around to see that their are dust particle or footprints in them, 2. it's easier to fix and I have 5 dogs and 3 cats, so I know I will be fixing a lot (don't want to sand my floors every yr), 3. it is non-toxic, so I don't have to worry about the zoo eating something off the floor or licking it.

Now the disadvantages: 1. It will mess up if alcohol is put on it, also if water is sitting on it (but from what I have read, water will not mess up the dewaxed version), 2. It easily damages (but of course it is easily fixed as well).

So from looking at these, I think that I can handle the disadvantages and I will try out the shellac. I will go with the garnet because I want dark floors. Hopefully I can get some from shellac.net in the near future, but I am told that they are out of garnet as of right now. If anyone has used shellac on their floors please comment on how you liked it. I would love to read more on this.

1 comments on "Giving the floors a shellacking!"

Gary on 5:44 PM said...

You haven't been reading my blog? That is all that I used. The garnet may not darken your floor enough and you may need to add aniline dye to clear shellac. Figure you will need at least a gallon to do the floor with three coats. You may need an additional quart for a 4th coat. If you wax the floor with superfine steel wool and buff it when done it will help with protecting against water. You can also do as I did in some high traffic rooms and put two thinned down coats of poly on to protect the shellac. If you wax and buff it you would never know that there is poly on the floor.

 

Restoration on 7th