Wednesday, September 09, 2009

33,000 Gallons!!!

Posted by Peter at Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Recently I checked my utility bill to see how much I have to pay. Normally I don't really look at the usage, just the amount because it is usually the same amount. I was shocked when I saw my bill was near $500. When I checked the usage I saw that my utility company JEA said I had used 33,000 gallons of water! I called them up and said that it had to be a mistake because with that much water I would surely have see it somewhere. Their response was "Sir, did you have any people come over during the month that may have taken showers?" I had to laugh because first no one had ever come to my house and second why would I let anyone take 33,000 gallons worth of a shower. Anyways I told them, "No" and asked for someone to come out and check the water meter again. That day when I came home I had a note on my door saying the 'waterman' had come by and say that there was a leak at the water meter and he had fixed it. He also said that the bill would be adjusted. Whewwww, that was a relief, of course trying to get the money back from them was another story as they would not give me a credit until the second month after to make sure there were no more leaks.

2 comments on "33,000 Gallons!!!"

Unknown on 1:12 PM said...

I'm surprised there wasn't a great big muddy hole near the meter if anywhere near that much leaked. Picture how big a 55 gallon drum is. Then picture 600 of them full of water.

If you had a shower that used 3 gallons a minute, 33,000 gallons would be:
= 11,000 minutes
= 183 hours
= 7.638 days

That's a hecka of a long shower :-)

Peter on 1:14 PM said...

Yea I know, I figured with that much water I would see it somewhere, but I never saw any water leaks or puddles or oceans at all. It was kind of weird, but my bill said 33000 gallons. Crazy, darn utility companies trying to cheat us out of money.

 

Restoration on 7th