Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Painting has begun

Posted by Peter at Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Well not that much painting. As I have stated in a previous post a long time ago. I had a painter come strip my house and paint it for a fee of $5,000.00. Well as all of you may know, he got paid $2,000.00 and then basically did diddly squat. He stripped some of my house but did it half-assed. Basically I ended up finding out that he was actually working on someone elses house when he was suppose to be working on mine. So long story short, if your asian and the guy that's working for you is asian. Don't fall for the "since we're both asian, I'll give you a deal" crap. I'm sure it works with other races as well. Anyways I decided to start on the stripping and painting myself, especially since the weather has been kind to me. I sanded and caulked and cleaned the front of my house (well the wall that is under the front porch at least) and put on the primer. All I can say is that it looks so good white. We were so used to the faded green brown color that was stained on the wood that the white just looked gorgeous. Another thing I found out, painting with a paint brush is brutal hell! I never thought that painting would hurt so much. Now I am dreading having to go on a ladder and scaffolding to paint. I know that spraying paint is easier, but heard that the paint doesn't hold up well. I wonder if rolling the paint on the siding is better?
Oh well, I will post pictures when I have one whole wall with trim all painted.

2 comments on "Painting has begun"

John on 1:04 PM said...

I've tried spray guns, and I wasn't impressed. Coverage was spotchy, it tended to drip, and I spent a lot of time following behind with a brush. The exterior of the house we're in now was painted with a sprayer four years ago, and the paint is flaking off already. It'll need to be repainted again this summer.

Rollers give better coverage but have some of the same problems as sprayers (drips).

Brushes are hard on your hands & arms, but they give the best finish in my opinion. The big brushes are a special kind of hell. I cheat and use smaller brushes. It may take a bit longer, but it hurts a lot less.

Peter on 1:38 PM said...

Hmmm now that makes sense, because I got a bunch of those 4 inch brushes. It feels like I'm trying to brush with a brick. I might have to try to smaller brush idea. Thanks alot

 

Restoration on 7th