Monday, July 24, 2006

Mount Dora, Florida

Posted by Peter at Monday, July 24, 2006
Well this has been my first post since the last millenia, but anyways here I am. Been a bit busy the last month, hence the reason I haven't written anything, but this past weekend Lita and I went down to Mount Dora.

For about the last year or so, Lita has been bugging me to go to Mount Dora. How she even heard of this place is unknown to me, but I always blame it on my chihuahua Peanut. So it's his fault. She had been talking about this place non stop everyday it seemed, always asking me if we could go there, but I just didn't like the idea of driving 2.5 hours just to look at some antiques. From what I heard it was a big haven for antique collectors and such. So this past weekend we decided to go, it worked well with the work meeting I had in Orlando. Now hearing about Mount Dora so much, I had amental image of some kind of grand place full of anitque stores and old homes, but as we were coming closer and closer all I saw was grass and cows. It sure wasn't the grandest old town I thought. But it did have some very nice areas. The downtown area of Mount Dora was wonderful, it is set right on the edge of Lake Dora and the town is set on a hill overlooking the water. The town didn't have many old homes that I could see, they did have one that was huge, but we weren't able to get a tour of it. The shops were nice and what you would expect from an older downtown area. But the main reason we came, was the Renningers Flea and Antique Market. Now that place is what puts Mount Dora on the map. It was the largest flea market I had ever been to and had many awesome things, too bad we didn't have the money to buy much, but Lita did find a few nick nacks to buy and we had a great time talking to people and looking at stuff. We also got a few ideas from the things they did have and hope we can incoperate that into our house, whenever it is finished. I would highly recommend going to Mount Dora and having a look around the antique market and the downtown area, other than that it is really bland, but it was worth seeing the smile on Lita's face. Maybe we can go there again sometime soon and bring more money.

0 comments on "Mount Dora, Florida"

 

Restoration on 7th