Thursday, October 27, 2005

Experiment with Peel Away

Posted by Peter at Thursday, October 27, 2005
Well in the recent post, I wrote about buying a product called Peel Away. I wanted to try this out, because so many people raved about how well it worked. So yesterday I put a pretty thick coat on part of my siding and on the top part of my columns to see how well it would work. Just for everyone's knowledge, I bought Peal Away 1, it was much cheaper.

Anyways, after giving it 24 hrs to "cure" I decided to give it the big pull. Regardless of it's name you don't actually peal away the paint. When I tried pealing the paper, only the paper came off, so I had to help the paint off with the included scraper. The paint did come off, but not all the layers. I was left with a green paint layer that was real hard and did not wat to come off. I don't know if this if some kind of super hard paint or what, but it was near impossible trying to take it off. I had to hammer at it just to chip off the paint. So I decided to leave it there and take pictures instead.


This is what is left over after "peeling" off the paper, I don't know what it is, but it's hard to get off.


Here is the top part of my columns. I just hope the paint comes off on this one.


Oh I just added these pictures to show you our new heating system in our house. Sad isn't it? Good thing that we are getting our new system in tomorrow. Yippee!!!!

3 comments on "Experiment with Peel Away"

K on 10:02 AM said...

I want to try some of that stuff.

Ms. P in Jackson on 10:26 AM said...

Also, you can leave it on longer than 24 hours. The longer it is left on, the more paint it will go through as I have learned. What I found with the Peel Away paper is that it allowed the remover to dry too quickly. I went to dollar store, bought cheap aluminum foil and left on for up to a week. The paint came off in huge, thick patches and I only had to wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove the left over residue. You might want to experiment with this as I did. Try it on a small area first. I love Peel Away. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Um, your "title.gif" header is leaving a huge black blob on the web page. It seems to be missing.

-Tony

 

Restoration on 7th