Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Another clawfoot tub

Posted by Peter at Wednesday, December 07, 2005
Well yesterday was a great day for us, we got another clawfoot tub (well with out the claw feet, basically just the tub I guess). Anyways this is how it went: we met a neighbor that lived a few streets down from us. He was a nice guy and basically just introduced himself and wanted to take a look around. So we showed him all the work we haven't down and all the work I have tried to start. It was kind of embarrassing with all the mess everywhere, especially the one cat poop on the ground, RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAT LITTER! Anyways I told him how I needed to go to H Depot to get some wood, so he asked if it was alright to tag along and get some wood for him self as well. I had no problem with this so we went and bought it and took it to his house. Now this guy a huge house and it was actually one of the houses I saw before we bought our itty bitty house, but the problem with that house was that it was too much work for us. I'm glad that someone had the giblets to tackle this house. On to the story... after we got the wood to his house he showed us all the work he had done to it. I'll tell you, he has done a lot more than us. But after that he offered us the clawfoot tub that he had. I guess he didn't need it anymore after some hoodlums broke into his house and stole the feet. That is also a funny story, he told us that one day someone broke in and only took the feet to the tub, nothing else, just the feet. Is there some kind of premium to these feet? They must have been made of gold or something. Anyways we hauled that monster of a tub and brought it back home. Now we have 2 tubs that aren't in use and now I need to find feet for the second one. But oh well, I don't have to worry about looking for a second bathtub anymore. I was wondering how much it costs to refinish a clawfoot tub? Or if it's possible to do it oneself? Anyways I'm happy. I'm glad I have a big black dog in the house, keeps people from stealing my feet.

4 comments on "Another clawfoot tub"

Anonymous said...

I've seen many used clawfoot tub feet at architectural salvage stores and they weren't expensive at all. You'll just need to clean them up a bit by removing old paint and they should work fine.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I was surfing around looking for farm sales when I get back home, and I saw a beautiful pair of clawfoot tub feet. All redone too. Ugh. This is going to bother me now...I have to go try to find them again!

Anonymous said...

Whew. I found them
http://www.ruhterauction.com/Dec%207/Willet/P1010018.JPG

Unfortunately, the sale is going on as we sit here.
http://www.ruhterauction.com/dec7.htm

rats. Maybe some other day.

Peter on 7:06 PM said...

Dang those look just like the ones I have now, except they are clean and not all rusted looking. Oh well, thanks so much for the help. You guys are the best. I'm sure I'll be able to find some somewhere.

 

Restoration on 7th