Thursday, December 15, 2005

Oh sweet heaven, there is a salvage yard!

Posted by Peter at Thursday, December 15, 2005
Today I started looking online for a salvage yard in my area. I had read on other house bloggers sites that they got some goodies at their local salvage yard, but I was unaware of one in my area. I posted a message on my local historics website to see if anyone knew of a salvage in town, but no one knew of any. So I started searching and found a site for a wrecking company. On one of their pages they wrote that while wrecking homes and buildings they would come across a piece of architecture that seemed worth saving. So they put all this "junk" into a yard and let people come rummage and buy what they find. So after work Lita and I drove to the salvage yard. We were amazed at all the things we found. They had clawfoot tubs, sinks, toilets, doors, windows and even urinals, also they had this elephant too (kind of weird), but it was great like a kid in a candy store, better yet a kid at Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory. It was great, the only downfall that they closed at 5 PM, which is about the time we got there. Good thing they were nice and let us look around for a little. But this place must be a hidden treasure that no one knows about, well know one in my historic area at least (I bet all the antique stores know about it though). Anyways the bad part is that they only open from Monday through Friday 8 - 5, which is working hours for me. So it looks like I will have to take a short day or a day off. I never understand why some business' open and close while we are at work. Just like a bank, they close at 5, right when I get off of work. When they hell do you think I can cash my check! Anyways I'm happy that I found this place and I know I will be visiting them a lot more. Looks like I can get my sinks for the bathrooms and kitchen there. Sweeeeeeeeet!

2 comments on "Oh sweet heaven, there is a salvage yard!"

StuccoHouse on 11:11 AM said...

The best lumberyard in my city (carries old profiles and unusual wood) is only open M-F til 5 too. I just can't figure it out.

After you find what you need (of course), you should let others know of that place. I figure, the more interest & success those places see....the better the chance they will continue to salvage the old stuff rather than just dump it.

Greg on 2:18 PM said...

Congratulations! You will be amazed at the deals you get. You can re-do a bathroom for a fraction of the cost.

 

Restoration on 7th