Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Rust stains galore!

Posted by Peter at Wednesday, December 07, 2005
Apart from the millions of projects I have started, one that I am seriously trying to finish is the exterior of the house. The bad part is that I have rust stains from the nails in the clapboard. I'll give you the backstory of my problem. Back long ago when when this house wasn't owned by asians a man and a woman owned this house. They tried to buy, fix and sell the house quickly to make a profit. Oh what a grand plan that was, except for the fact that they wanted to fix the house the cheapest way possible. So what do they do to the exterior you ask? Well they decided to rip off the original siding and replace it with a new one. They only did part of the house, but they part they did do they nailed the boards with ungalvanized nails. Now fast forward to now and I have rust stains on my siding. Instead of taking the route of applying to my historic council and waiting and waiting to replace all the nails. I was wondering if there was something I could do, like maybe countersink the nails and apply something to the nail heads then prime over it? Is there such a product out there that can eliminate the rust stains? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing the the PO did to PO me!

2 comments on "Rust stains galore!"

Derek on 8:49 PM said...

Did the original siding have galvanized nails? I don't think our house from the 20's does. Maybe some kind of autobody rustproofing would work. I used one that the military uses on ship hulls that seem to stop rust.

Anonymous said...

Check out the Primer Selector at Zinsser.com: http://www.zinsser.com/Primerapps.asp?

 

Restoration on 7th