Thursday, April 26, 2007

Kitchen ain't complete without a vintage stove

Posted by Peter at Thursday, April 26, 2007
I love craigslist ! Just yesterday I saw someone had posted a link for a vintage electric stove from Westinghouse. Now I know most people like the gas type, and I can't lie, I love those as well, but since I don't have a gas line it would be a big pain to get one installed just for the stove. I had scoured eBay and other classifieds to see if anyone has a vintage stove in the neighborhood. I even would look at cities like Orlando, Tampa and even Atlanta! (Just to remind you that I live in Jacksonville and those cities are quite a distance). I never had much luck except in Atlanta, but to drive 5 hours just to get a stove wasn't ideal. I finally came to conclusion that vintage stoves were never here in Jacksonville and that the Jacksonvillians from old days just used fire and wood to cook food until the 1970's. But to my delight a post on craigslist and to put more sugar on top, it was FREE!!!!! So I borrowed a friends truck, thanks Julie Ann, and I drove to house and was delighted to see this monstrosity. It was big white and dirty and me and my petite wife had to haul it in the truck. I never thought I could strain my muscles around my butt crack, but people I tell you I still can't sit from that experience. We did eventually get it in the truck and brought it back home. As of right now it is just sitting on my front porch until I can figure out what to do with it. If you don't know my kitchen is a mess right now, gutted and beaten, plus we had to keep a dog there for 4 months til we could find an adoptive parent. But alas it's here and I hope that it will work well. My wife is a little iffy iffy about it, but I think an old house needs old appliances. Anyways here are the pictures that she had of it, I will try to post some of my own. It is a 1954 Westinghouse Custom 40 and came with the owners manual, now you don't see that often.

2 comments on "Kitchen ain't complete without a vintage stove"

Anonymous said...

Pretty neat stove. I have a 1969 Westinghouse electric stove and I am searching for someone to totally restore it. if you should know of anyone who does this please let me know. I have tried to find parts for it but they just don't make them anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Chuck

arlecats on 10:49 PM said...

I have a 1940's? antique Westinghouse electric oven. It's white porcelain with three regular burners and one deep well drop pot (for soup?) instead of a fourth regular burner. The burners all work well; the broiler works well; but the oven heating coil burnt out yesterday. The model No. is FA-74. Anyone interested in it or have any knowledge of it? Thanks!

 

Restoration on 7th