Friday, June 05, 2009

Textured Walls = Crappy

Posted by Peter at Friday, June 05, 2009
I love old house. Do you? I'm sure you do, but there is one thing I do hate about them.... previous owners. More specifically previous owners that quickly tried to redo the house in efforts of making a quick sale. And the one thing I hate that they do, is textured walls. And not only that but texturing everything in sight because they didn't have the fortitude to tape any of the trim or anything.
This is my upstairs hall, but basically every room was like this as well. I don't know what kind of great idea this was but I wish I could get a Delorean and go back in time and punch them in the face when they thought of this idea. Looks like long nights of scraping and sanding ahead for me.

3 comments on "Textured Walls = Crappy"

Unknown on 10:37 PM said...

Textured is OK. Textured without masking off the trim is a punchable offense. Though not as bad as the lowered ceilings and faux wood paneling the folks at Casa Decrepit are having to deal with.

Peter on 10:52 PM said...

Yea, I guess it can be ok, except my whole house is textured from ceiling to floor. Luckily I was able to sandall the texture off of the floors, the walls aren't too bad, since I can just put on a layer of wall compound, but the ceilings, ha those will be staying the way they are. But you are correct lowered ceilings suck big time, so do faux wall panels

Anonymous said...

Try this tutorial on getting rid of that texture.
http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/photos/smoothwall/smoothwall1.html

 

Restoration on 7th