Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Government wants to paint my roof white?

Posted by Peter at Wednesday, May 27, 2009
I just read where the government wants to paint roofs white in the US. Now I'm sure they only mean buildings with flat tarred roofs, but I couldn't stop to think what my house would look like with a white roof. Shoot I got some leaks going on, so if the government wants to paint my roof white for free then I am all for it. It was a good read and made me wonder if white roofs would make a big difference for the environment.

4 comments on "The Government wants to paint my roof white?"

Shane on 11:35 AM said...

Nothing the government ever does is "free" :)

Peter on 12:37 PM said...

You are so right about that.

Unknown on 1:59 PM said...

I don't know if they'll paint your roof for 'free', but a white or light-colored roof will make a big difference in cooling costs if you live in a hot climate (or even hot part of the year). Where my parents live in Florida, most of the roofs are white or light-colored. Something to consider next time you re-roof.

On my house, white would end up reflecting a lot of light and heat into my neighbor's taller houses, so I'd save but they'd lose, so I went with light grey shingles.

Peter on 2:04 PM said...

I sure wish that the government would throw me some new light colored shingles. Mine right now are brownish grey. Of course I don't know what the original color was. They are so old and have paint all over them. But a reroof is needed sometime in the future.

 

Restoration on 7th