Thursday, August 25, 2005

Dust everywhere, but I can see the floor now

Posted by Peter at Thursday, August 25, 2005
Yesterday was another hot and muggy day in Jacksonville. I bought an A/C window unit and installed it in the upstairs room that we will be moving everything in to. I looked around and saw my white bare walls with unfinished windows. It was just depressing how long it was taking to do one room, ONE FREAKIN ROOM!

So I decided to start sanding the floor. Now I know most people will either get a. a professional or b. do it themselves. I chose b especially with me shelling out $5000 to strip and paint my exterior, I had virtually nothing left. Now I wanted to do the sanding right without causing any(or much) damage to the wood. I had to choose to do it faster but more dangerously with a drum sander or take longer and more painful with a hand sander...... Of course I am in Florida and my brain is getting fried, so I took the longer more painful route. So I went to Home Depot and looked at sanders, I have a orbital palm sander at home, but I've tried that and that would take a millenium to do just one room. I needed something much faster and stronger. Drum roll for the belt sander please... So I looked at all the belt sanders that were available and I took the cheapest they had, bought the coursest grit they had and went home. I plugged that bad boy in and gave it a rev. Right when I put that monstrosity on the floor, I swear my arm almost popped out of its socket. I was not expecting the pull that this thing gave, and it was only 5.3 amps. I couldn't imagine what some of these more expensive belt sanders would do, it would probably leave toothpicks left after it eats up the wood.

But after a few pushes with the sander I could see the natural wood floor shining through. It must be the same thing people felt when they sifted their pans in the water to find minute pieces of gold. JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I sanded a whole corner side with that thing, still couldn't get in between some of the planks, but I guess I could use the hand sander for that. It was great to see and I hope that I can get it mostly sanded by this weekend. Maybe I'll get another one and have my wife help me out. But overall I am pleased with the results. I know I will be aching, but if it doesn't kill me, I guess I will just keep on trucking.

0 comments on "Dust everywhere, but I can see the floor now"

 

Restoration on 7th